CarTrawler is the leading B2B technology provider of the car rental and mobility solutions to the global travel industry. Our purpose is to drive successful partnerships. CarTrawler’s end-to-end technology platform expands our airline and travel partners’ offering to their customers, creating substantial ancillary revenue opportunities. We provide unrivaled breadth and depth of content worldwide, including car rental, private airport transfer, and ride-hailing services.
CarTrawler creates innovative, data-led solutions for some of the largest travel brands in the world, including United Airlines, American Express, EasyJet, Alaska Airlines, SWISS, Hotels.com, and Emirates. As a B2B company, we focus solely on helping our airline and travel partners build their brands, not our own.
For our people, they get to work in an indigenous Irish tech company, in healthy, high performing teams, solving interesting problems.
The Data Science team at CarTrawler is a team full of highly skilled Data Scientists and Machine Learning Engineers from various backgrounds. We design, develop and deploy high-performing ML solutions for pricing, sorting, fraud detection, and many other areas of the business through our own in-house built tech stack that leverages best engineering practices, external tools such as AWS, Docker, CICD, Kubernetes, Python and the support of other teams around the business.
If you have a desire to deploy your work to the real world and see the business impact immediately, Cartrawler is your best choice!
Reporting to: Data Science DevOps Manager
The purpose of this role:
Independently drive projects to develop software tools to service our Data Science solutions and operations using cutting-edge technologies (e.g. AWS, Docker, Kubernetes, etc.) with the ultimate goal to improve business performance.
Liase and collaborate with business stakeholders and other engineering depts. to define requirements and develop solutions.
Continuously maintain and improve existing tools/services internally developed by DS team
Build efficient CI/CD pipelines and design effective testing/QA/logging and monitoring of tools and services.
Review code changes and pull requests and ensure CT best practices are adhered to in coding and development
Mentor junior ML Engineers by providing support and expertise on Engineering related techniques/skills and to be a point of escalation for them.
What you’ll be doing day to day:
•Working closely with relevant stakeholders across the business to identify opportunities and ensure alignment across teams and projects
•Conducting research on Data Science and DevOps to ensure our tech stack is continually improving and aligning with best practices
• Developing industry-leading data science DevOps solutions through:
o Identifying detailed requirements, sources, and structures to support solution development
o Determining the optimal solutions and technologies to use to solve the problem at hand
o Ensuring solutions are implemented with the best engineering practices in mind (CI/CD, unit tests, integration tests, logging, monitoring, etc..)
o Developing scalable solutions that can be integrated into production environments if required
o Collaborating in the development and deployment of proposed solutions to a live environment and tracking the effects in real-time
•Maintaining and enhancing existing DS tools/platforms/infrastructure:
o MVT – An in-house built multi-variate testing platform
o ACDC – Our cloud-based solution for deploying ML to production
o Action Factory – An in-house built automated decision-making tool
o Echo – Our in-house built MLOps pipeline tool
o Several in-house built Python libraries
•Supporting the business with BAU tasks related to tools and services Data Science provide
•Effectively communicate outputs to other team members and the wider business in a concise manner that can be understood by both technical and non-technical audiences
•Developing leading POCs to create breakthrough solutions, performing exploratory and targeted data analyses
• Mentoring and educating junior ML engineers on best practices and ways of thinking
What background we’re looking for:
- Undergraduate, M.S. or Ph.D. in a relevant technical field, OR 4+ years experience in a relevant role
- Good understanding of Software engineering and DevOps practices: Object Oriented Programming, data structure, version control, performance tuning, test-driven development, REST API, Docker.
- Experience using major cloud computing services like AWS, and Azure.
- Expertise in writing well-structured, robust, and readable code in Python
- Expertise with version control systems (git) and modern development workflows (feature branches, pull requests, etc…)
- Expertise in writing unit tests and developing integration tests to ensure the quality of the product
- Knowledge of factors that need to be considered when deploying to production environments (computational complexity, resource requirements, etc...)
- Familiarity with relational (SQL), graph, and NoSQL databases
- Ability to communicate complex tools and technologies in a clear, precise, and actionable manner, both verbally and in presentation format, to a broad variety of functional leaders
- Ability to mentor new colleagues and help them learn the technologies, work ethic, and collaboration style that works at Cartrawler.
- Experience using more advanced ML libraries (TensorFlow, theano, PyTorch etc..) is a plus
Essential Technical skills
- Python 2 yr, + 3 yrs in any Object Oriented language (e.g. Java)
- AWS 1 yr, +1 yr in any cloud platform (e.g. Azure)
- Docker: 2 yr hands-on experience
- CICD: 2 yr hands-on experience
- Versioning: Git: 2 yr hands-on experience
- Education background: Computer Science
We are looking for someone who is able to demonstrate the following competencies: Is this YOU?
- Strong passion for solving real-world problems using the most suitable approaches from data science, software engineering, data engineering, visualization, etc.
- Always hunger for new technologies and continuous improvement
- Ability to meet short-term goals without losing the vision of the long-term success
- Curious nature and natural desire to go beneath the surface of a problem - enjoy diving deep into the data to find an answer to a yet unknown question
- Good communication (verbal and written) and interpersonal skills
- Ability to create examples, prototypes, and demonstrations to help management better understand the work of the team
- Keen interest in ML and Soft Engineering in the world of Data Science.
- Previous experience in data science teams is beneficial but not a must.
Some of Our Benefits
Hybrid Working: Hybrid working at CarTrawler is a combination of office and remote working. Most of the time, people will have flexibility in terms of where they want to work.
Financial Wellbeing: All employees from day one, whatever their role, are entitled to share options as part of our unique equity scheme offering, we also have an annual performance-related bonus, pension, income protection & life assurance.
Health: Premium VHI health insurance is provided for all team members, we have a dedicated team of Mental Health First Aiders, and an Employee Assistance Programme, “Friday Unplugged” – the last Friday of every month we have a half-day mental health break.
Leave: 25 days annual leave & 2 company days, as we know life often takes over, as it should! For these instances we offer all eligible team members paid maternity, adoptive, paternity, parental, and marriage leave
Development: We have a dedicated Talent Management Team and Development Framework “Thrive” which supports your professional and personal development throughout your CarTrawler career.
Environmental, Social, and Governance
You will be an ambassador of our culture and social and environmental credentials.
CarTrawler's Equality, Diversity, and Inclusion in the workplace
CarTrawler is fully committed to ensuring equal opportunities supported by an environment based on mutual respect, inclusion, and dignity at work for all our people. We welcome diversity, valuing the benefits it brings to the workplace. We have a zero-tolerance approach to discrimination of any kind.
The criteria with regard to decisions on positions and promotions are an individual’s ability, behaviors, and merit to perform in the role. To this end, CarTrawler strives to ensure that recruitment, employment, training, and promotion practices and policies do not directly or indirectly discriminate.
We are a purpose-led, values-driven company, with a focus on a culture of shared wins where relationships make the difference. We strive to foster a culture of continuous learning encouraging our people to invest in themselves to Thrive.
CarTrawler will work to ensure neurodivergent individuals and/or people with disabilities are set up for success to participate in the interview process. If additional success enablers and or accommodations are needed to participate in any CarTrawler job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and/or to receive other benefits of employment. Please let your recruiter know how we can support you by contacting our team directly at [email protected]